Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Perfect Handwriting & Perfect Notes

As a young girl, my mother won an award for her handwriting. I am not sure how old she was, but I do know that she received a matching pen and pencil set as her prize. Her handwriting technique was one of the many beautiful talents she possessed. I can remember waiting in line with her to check out at a store while she would fill out her check. It seemed as if she spent hours signing her name with all of its beautiful flourish. I must admit at the time I wished she could write a little faster and we could just leave the store. But one thing I always remember were the compliments the store clerks would give my mom on her beautiful signature.

Her handwriting is one of the things I love looking at right now. It is so her. I love to see the elaborate design of the letters on the paper. It feels safe and comforting to see her words on paper. She was a great letter writer and she always came through with the perfect thank you note. It was a skill she impressed upon me and I have tried to do the same with my girls. I am thankful that so much of my mom will live on in my girls. This is just one of the ways I know it will. Thank you notes were one of the ways my mother shared her graciousness and thoughtfulness. Here are just a few of the notes I have from her. So glad I do.
The note she wrote me on the morning of my first day of teaching school

A note she wrote thanking us for the Christmas gifts

Part of a thank you note for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration

No comments:

Post a Comment