Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Loving Your Pet

The girls and I went to see this movie today.I had been forewarned by my sister that there was a bit of sadness in it. So, I prepared the girls for it and asked if they still wanted to see it. Both said "yes". So, off we went to the movies. It was a cute movie that was sweet and fun and yes, a bit sad.
What the movie really made me think of was the relationships that I had with my various pets over the years. It all began with our beagle Lucy in Kodiak, Alaska. She came on the scene when I was about four and I just loved that dog. I remember many days of snuggling with her and telling her all of my deep dark secrets while flipping up her long ears to whisper to her. She passed away when I was 20. We were in Pittsburgh visiting my aunt and my sister had to take her to the vet where they decided to put her to sleep. I cried and cried over losing her. She was part of our family.
At 16, I got my beloved kitty cat, Mini. She was a long haired gray cat who had an attitude, but warmed up to those she loved. I was part of that elite group of people she loved. When I turned 30, my dad took her to the vet and they had to put her to sleep. I was sad about her loss, but I no longer lived at home at the time. I know that her death really effected my mom and dad.
I got a sweet little Himalayan when I lived alone in my apartment. She was a pretty cream colored kitten and I named her Chardonnay. I only had her for about 3 months when she became ill and I had to have her put to sleep. That was such a tough decision for me and I was so lonely once she was gone. She had been the sweetest little companion.
About a month after her death, I acquired Misty. She was a long haired gray cat who was aloof and not friendly to anyone but me. She moved with me to John's home and a year later we got our cat Harley. Harley was a fun cat who was filled with personality. He and John had some great times together.
Harley eventually left our house one day in 2004 never to return again. We aren't quite sure what happened to him, but I like to think he is chasing mice in a barn with lots of other cats. Misty, sadly, became even more unhappy once Harley was gone and she began biting me and scaring Lily. She was no longer doing well and John took her to the vet where they chose to put her to sleep. She is now buried on the hill near the building where John once worked.
We have since added two fish, a hermit crab, and a guinea pig to our list of pets. The fish and the hermit crab have passed away.
Bella, the guinea pig, is a fun little animal. She is snuggly and cute and the girls love her. And, she has become a part of the family, too.
I wonder many times if we will ever get a dog or a cat again. I love the bond that you form with an animal, but for now I am busy with the girls and don't really embrace the idea of a pet who needs me, too. Yet, I think about that incredible experience, as a child, of loving a dog (and a cat).

No comments:

Post a Comment