Sunday, May 17, 2009

Vignettes

I created two little vignettes around the house recently and thought I'd post them. As an aside: these are the types of things I would call my mom about and blabber on with where I bought the pieces, how I put it all together, where I saw my inspiration (i.e. whose blog), etc. So now, dear blog readers, you must listen to my blabbering!

The first is made up of pieces from around the house with one newly purchased item. I have a cake pedestal stand that I bought at Target about 3 years ago for $12 on sale. Then I added my $1.99 cloche (from Goodwill) on top with a little nest with eggs (Joann fabrics for $1.05) in it. The two birds on the bottom are also from Target and were purchased about 6 years ago for a total of $5. So this all cost me about $20 over the last 6 years! And the cloche that I got at Goodwill was part of a conversation that I had the last time I spoke to my mom on March 3rd. I had just been to GW and bought the cloche and asked my mom if she was familiar with them. She said, "oh, yes that's a hat." And technically, she is correct...cloche is french for bell and is the name for a closely fitting hat.
The next vignette is a picture of my mom and aunt roller skating in the 1930s. I framed it in a large wooden frame from Michael's on sale ($6.99) and set it on a plate holder that I bought several years ago. I placed it on top of a wooden game box that was a Christmas gift from my sister along with an old camera of my great grandfather's. The photo reminds me so much of Lily and Shelly. So, it's nice to be able to look at it and think of my mom, my aunt and my girls.

2 comments:

  1. You created wonderful, creative vignettes.

    I had to give myself permission to grieve and to realize there is no time table for that.

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I love posts about decorating!!! :)

    I love both. That picture of your mom is sweet.

    ReplyDelete