Wednesday, September 09, 2009

We Cried---

This morning before school Shelly started to cry and told me that she didn't want to go to school today. I wasn't really surprised. Lily told me that on Friday and on Tuesday when they got off the bus at school, Shelly began crying a little. Fortunately, Lily was there to walk her to class and assure her that everything was going to be alright. I was so thankful for Lily's kindness toward her little sister.
So, when the tears started today I told Shelly everything would be okay and she would have a great day at school. She gave me some resistance putting on her shoes and getting her backpack but she finally got herself going. Once the bus arrived, Lily took her hand and they headed to the bus where they both shared a seat.
As I returned home I started to cry. I cried because my little girl was sad and I didn't know how to fix it. I cried because at 43 I was sad and wanted my mom. I wanted to be able to ask her how she handled these situations with me. How did she make it all better when I cried almost every day in the first grade? What words of advice did she give me in the third grade when I cried on my first day of school and her first day back into the teaching world?
I'm not sure how she handled it all. But, I do know that she made it all feel better and I know that I need to do the same thing for my little girl, too. I know that if she were here she would tell me that this too shall pass. And, I know that she'd be right.
My mom with Lily in November of 2000

2 comments:

  1. {{{Karol}} I'm sure Shelly will look back on Kindergarten and know that YOU said just the right thing to make it all better.

    ReplyDelete