Thursday, October 08, 2009

October---Wear Some Pink

In July of 1997 my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. In August of '97 she had surgery to remove the breast and the cancer. She was strong and handled her fate with grace. In retrospect, I think she dealt with much more than my sisters and I might ever know. My father was there by her side and was her caretaker and strength during times when she didn't have the ability to fight on her own. My mom survived breast cancer and for that I am forever grateful.

My mother walked down the aisle at my wedding a year after her breast cancer surgery and she danced at my reception. She went on to travel extensively with my father to many places---Hawaii, Colorado, and Arizona to name a few. She was there for the birth of both of my daughters. My mom was living her life and living it well.
When my mother died in March of this year, it was important to all of us that people know she wasn't overtaken by the enemy that is cancer. She had already stood in the face of that evil disease and knocked it out.


Her story is inspiring because she SURVIVED and it is a constant reminder to take care of yourself and be strong. So, if you haven't already done so, schedule a mammogram and stay healthy...today!
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.


No comments:

Post a Comment