Thursday, December 03, 2009

Kira-Kira


Last night Lily was reading her book, Kira Kira, and decided to stop for a bit. I offered to read a few pages to finish the chapter. In the story, an 11 year-old girl has a 15 year-old sister who is dying. I began reading and was just awestruck with the following passage in her book:

"Then I didn't feel like crying anymore. I just felt barren, my eyes felt dry. The sky was still gray. Everything was gray, the sky and the store and even my hand when I held it out in front of myself. I wondered if anyone else in history had ever been as sad as I was at that moment. As soon as I wondered that, I knew the answer was yes. The answer was that millions of people had been that sad."

I couldn't believe the words I was reading. They felt like they were being pulled right from my heart and my head. So many times I think to myself that no one else has ever been as sad as I have felt over these last nine months. But, I suppose I have always known that my feelings of grief are not exclusive to me. It was just so interesting to read the words aloud. Amazing how words on a page can touch someone so deeply and so completely. Yet another example of how books can cha
nge your life and perhaps even put a new perspective on it.

2 comments:

  1. (((Karol)))... Your grief is very real and there is no time table in this very personal process. Just know that we will always be there for you with a shoulder to cry on... for as long as you may need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Kimberly says. (((Hugs))) Love ya, Karol!

    ReplyDelete