Thursday, August 23, 2012

Being a Mom

Mom and Shelly
Summer of 2004

So hard this time of year not to have my mom nearby to lean on for her motherly advice. So many questions that need answering and so many times I've thought of picking up the phone to speak with her.

Being a mom is some pretty tough stuff. When those babies are little you worry if they're still breathing in the crib, if they are getting enough to eat, and how to soothe them when they're crying. When they are toddlers you worry about when they'll walk, if they'll ever stop having temper tantrums, and if they will start eating more veggies. 


As they enter Kindergarten, you think about them all day without you there to help when they need you. And, as they go through elementary school, moms think about how their children will do making friends, answering questions in class, and what's the right balance for them with sports and free time. 

Middle school challenges include puberty, school dances, and lockers to only name a few. As the years pass by quickly, high school seems daunting with all of the importance of each grade earned and the thoughts of what's next for them academically, athletically, and socially. 

I can only imagine the day that a mom sends her precious little baby who fit perfectly in her arms off to college. The strings loosen and now the tough times are only eased by phone calls in place of snuggle time. And after college, I can say as a daughter, I needed my mother more than ever. 

So, this job of rearing children isn't a part time thing or a stint that lasts for only 18 years. It's a full time, 24/7, non-stop occupation.

Being a mom is tough, but somehow my mother always made it look so easy!




2 comments:

  1. And someday, your girls will say the same thing about you...that you made it look easy. You're a fabulous mom, but I hear you. I hide it well, but I worry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about your girls saying the same things. All the fun traditions you've done with them..lucky girls:) It's been a whirlwind this week bringing Dylan to college and you brought tears to my eyes with this post. But, thank you for the smile too.

    ReplyDelete