Monday, May 13, 2013

The 13th Birthday

On Sunday, Lily turned 13. It was such a fun day with the perfect combination of birthday festivities and Mother's Day love.

Awhile back Lily let me know she wanted to pass on the annual big birthday party and simply celebrate with John, Shelly, and me. I was not quite sure if that was really what she wanted. So, I asked her (bugged her) many times if she was sure that's what she wanted. And, every time she answered "yes". So, for the first time in her 13 years we had a low key family birthday.

We made it a weekend celebration starting on Friday. She and Shelly got their nails done and we had a frozen yogurt snack afterward. 

On Saturday, the girls and I went strawberry picking and relaxed by the pool in the afternoon. Saturday night we had dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, did a little shopping for Lily (she got some new TOMS), and had another fro-yo snack.












Sunday morning I had the house decorated with 13s and some fun streamers. Then I made her favorite breakfast...bacon, cheese omelets, and cinnamon rolls. She was a happy girl. After breakfast, it was time to open her gifts.









The fun continued...the four of us went to Target and Lily was ready to embark on a fun 13 minute shopping spree. She and Shelly dashed around the store and had tons of fun and laughs along the way. She was a smart shopper spending most of her valuable time in the clothing department. This was one of the highlights of the day and I loved seeing Lily smile and laugh her on her special day.


















Once we were done it was time to head to the mall for a little more shopping. She found a few more cute items to add to her collection.









With all of that shopping done, it was time for a terrific outdoor lunch/dinner. This was one of my favorite parts of the day. All of us together talking and enjoying good food and the sunshine.

The day ended with a yummy cookie cake in honor of Lily. And as I put her to bed she once again told me how great her day was and hugged me tight while she shed a few tears of happiness. And, at that point I knew that this new teenager was the same little four year old who would cry once her birthday was over. And, I think the tears are representative of how much she loves having a special day all her own. Exactly the feeling I want both of my girls to have about their birthdays. Success.

Check out this little video of the 13 Minute Sweep:


2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic day! Happy birthday Lily! I hope 13 is absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I just loved this entire thing! I loved the video and being able to see you all interact. Lily is so polite, and Shelly was such a CUTE helper!!! Oh my goodness, they remind me of my girls. I love it. Happy, happy birthday, Lily!!

    ReplyDelete