Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Mother's Support

Mothering is a full time and difficult job. There are the days where it's all fun and games and easy breezy. Then there are the times when tough decisions need to be made. The times when life isn't exactly as you have envisioned. And that's when you need to be a strong role model for your children. And as I heard quoted on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (yes, really), "parents shouldn't be a dictator they should be an advisor". So, with those words in mind, I attempt to guide my girls and help them make some good decisions for themselves. Just like my mom did for me. 

When I was in the 5th grade I ran for Student Council Vice President and I lost. I was an incredibly shy girl and the idea that I even had the nerve to run is amazing to me. But, I know that I was encouraged to do it thanks to my mom. 


The next school year, she helped me make campaign posters and cute badges to run for Student Council President. Again, I'm shocked to realize that I opted to run after my loss in 5th grade. But, I'm sure it's because of the positive reinforcement that my mother showed me. She believed in me and that was enough. And, once again, I lost. 

The moral of this somewhat sad tale is that I kept trying and I had my parents and my sisters right behind me. It was a great example of how to create a loving and supportive family in the good times and the bad times. 



I hope that I am sending that same message to my girls. I hope that I'm showing them that they can be strong and do tough things even when it seems impossible. 

As I type this, Lily has been selected as the new Secretary of her Student Body and I couldn't be happier for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment