Friday, April 17, 2009

Books

Books and words have always helped to make me feel better at various times in my life. You can usually find me writing or reading during stressful times and right now is no exception. I have done lots of writing whether it's here on the blog or in my journal. I like documenting my journey and then going back to remember my thoughts later. It's comforting and reassuring to relive some of the saddest, as well as, some of the happiest times in my life.

Another escape for me is in reading books. I have been directed toward several interesting titles of late and wanted to share them here with others. The first book, Embraced by the Light, is one that a neighbor gave me. She has recently lost her father and she found the book to be a good representation of heaven. It took me awhile to get through the book, but by the end of the story it was well worth the time I put into it.
The next book, The Middle Place, I came across while viewing the video that was added in the previous post. I was so impressed with the words that Kelly Corrigan shared and I wanted to read more. I just started the book last night and I am enjoying her storytelling.
A book that was given to my father by a friend of my sister's is titled, The Lord is My Shepherd. The author, a rabbi, looks at the 23rd Psalm and how it's message can alter a person's life and offer hope. My sister sent me a copy of this book for my birthday and it is next on my list to read after The Middle Place.
My sister also sent me a copy of this book, When Bad Things Happen to Good People. I've heard so much about this book and am eager to read it and hopefully learn from it.
The last two books, I Miss You and What's Heaven?, were given to the girls by a friend. They are both excellent books that help children deal with the loss of a loved one. The books discuss some great topics within their text and offer valuable answers for young children's many questions about death.






As I read and absorb information, I find comfort from the words that others write to offer help and encouragement. Losing my mother is a journey I wasn't prepared to take so soon, but feeling comforted by words is easing some of the intense pain.












No comments:

Post a Comment