Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The Firsts

There are several "firsts" looming in our near future. The first holiday (Easter) without my mom, the first birthday (mine) without my mom, the first grandchild's birthday (Lily's) without my mom, the first Mother's Day without her...

I suppose this will be a year of "firsts" and we will all learn to adapt to the new feelings of life without mom. I guess some of the upcoming "firsts" are made more difficult because mom always made you feel special on your birthday. I have mentioned her fabulous parties before...The Price is Right theme, the Bicentennial birthday in 1976, the combo party at 5 with a Raggedy Ann and Andy theme and the list goes on and on. She knew how to do it right. Even as an adult she continued to hide an Easter basket for me and prepare my favorite Angel food cake with glaze for my birthdays. I mentioned in my eulogy about her the following:


"She taught us to always do things with love and special attention. She didn't just give you a birthday gift...she wrapped it beautifully, put lovely embellishments on it, and tied it with a perfect bow. And that's how she lived her life. She added those extra special touches in her role as a friend, a sister, a mother-in-law, a grandmommy, a mom, and a wife."


As we approach these "firsts" I look forward to remembering how my mother lived her life. She lived it beautifully and she would want nothing less for the rest of us.
Here she is living life with my sisters and good friend, Bonnie(at my wedding 1998)

1 comment:

  1. Honey, she may not be there physically but she is there in spirit and in your heart. As I read about what kind of mom she was, it reminds me exactly of you. Your girls will definitely feel just like this about you when they grow up. (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete