Sunday, May 31, 2009

Journey

As excited as I am about Shelly moving on to Kindergarten this year, I am also filled with many mixed emotions. I recall her struggles with walking in the toddler class where Ms. Eileen faithfully took care of my little girl. She carried her many places and let her sit in her lap when Shelly was unsure of new territory. My comfort level with her at the little playschool was 100% and I never worried when I would leave her in their capable hands two days a week. Shelly moved on to the 2 year old and 3 year old classes and she continued to blossom into a sweet little girl. And then she entered the 4 year old class where we once again approached an obstacle (potty training) and once again had Ms. Eileen to help navigate the waters. Her endless concern and care were tantamount in Shelly's success and for that I am forever grateful.


I feel confident that as Kindergarten days get closer, Shelly will be an enthusiastic student who will jump onto the school bus with her sister and walk into her classroom ready to learn. And I fear that once again it will be her mother who worries about the new ups and downs in her life and how Shelly will overcome the less than perfect days. But, as I prepare for this change over the next 2 1/2 months, I will look back on my own childhood and remember how artfully my parents prepared me for the big world out there. I think with those great memories behind me I will be able to tackle this next step in Shelly's life beyond her momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment