Monday, December 14, 2009

Geodesic Fun

In the advent calendar yesterday the note said to make a Christmas craft together. So, I grabbed the bazillion circles I punched out of old Christmas cards and got ready for a little holiday ornament fun.

From 2002 until last year I have collected and kept every Christmas card we received. This year I decided it was time to purge. I pulled out some significant cards and pictures and left the remaining cards for punching 2" and 3" circles. In the back of my mind I had the idea to make a
n ornament with the circles. When I was teaching 5th grade my team teacher and I made some geodesic ornaments using 20 circles with the students. They were cool. I decided this might be a fun activity to do with the girls. I also thought that my mom would have loved this idea.

The process is this:


  • Cut out 20 circles (2" or 3" work great)
  • Fold three (3) flaps on the circle to form an equilateral triangle in the center of the circle
  • Now take 5 folded circles and adhere with glue or staple together in a circle
  • Repeat this step with another 5 folded circles
  • Take the remaining 10 folded circles and staple them together in a line
  • These will now form a nice circle and you will staple them together
  • Now put the first circle on top and staple and then the second circle (group of 5) and staple to the bottom
  • We added glue to the edges and put inside a ziploc bag with glitter
  • Shake
  • Let it sit in there for a bit to dry
  • Punch a hole in the ornament and thread a ribbon or piece of thread through the hole to hang on the tree.
A little note here---for younger children, trace an equilateral triangle on to a card and cut out. Then let them use this as a template to trace the triangle on to the circle. From there, they can fold along the lines they have traced. Lily was able to do the folding without using a template, but it helped Shelly to follow this as a guide.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, Karol! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have re-purposed a couple old cards this year too (which I'll be sharing soon). Yesterday, our craft was make a garland out of wrapping paper crafts. :)

    ReplyDelete