Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Friend and a Movie

As the days pass by me, I am realizing that I didn't just lose my mother in March, I lost my friend. Not all daughters are lucky enough to call their mom a friend, but I truly was. I lived with my parents for quite a long time as an adult and my parents and I forged a relationship as adults. I grew to understand my mom as a friend during that time and I took time to stop and listen to her...though not as often as the time she stopped to listen to me. As a teen, I was also very close to my mom. We didn't have many of those uncomfortable or difficult teenage days that many of my friends encountered with their parents. I was lucky. My mom was the first person I would call to share the good and the bad news. I knew she would be there with her unconditional love to help guide me and sometimes just to listen to me. I struggle with the fact that I have lost this friend. This person who was there for me. My mother was a wonderful friend. I hope that some day my girls and I will move into a relationship similar to the one I had with my mom as I became an adult. A friendship filled with love and support. I look forward to those days with my daughters and cherish the days I had with my mom.

As I write this entry, I am sitting and watching the movie, Julie & Julia. I think my mom would have really enjoyed this story. A story about a young woman who finds a purpose in her life by connecting with the food and the story of another woman while blogging about her adventures. Yes, I think she would have enjoyed it quite a bit. 




1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your mother, mine suddenly passed over a year ago too. But at least you shared great times with her, you got to be Her daughter. And you still have her in you. Anyway, if you want any food or wine notes I have a blog I just started. Good to take your mind off things! Cheers...

    ReplyDelete