Thursday, September 30, 2010

Setting the Icky Stuff on Fire

Since October of 2007, we (as a family) have had some not-so-great luck. I won't bore you with all of the specifics of the icky stuff, but suffice it to say that things haven't been all rainbows and sunshine. It's a disturbing and depressing feeling to have all that stuff hanging over your head and feel as if you are waiting for the next big bad event to happen. So, the other day I made a detailed list of the things that have occured over that time. Let me just say the list was extensive and at times made me cry as I wrote it and saw it all lumped together.

My next step after completing the list was to set it on fire!!! Really. I brought out a lighter and lit the corner of the paper and watched it burn up all of the crappy things and watched it turn to ashes. Was it liberating? A little. Did it make me instantly feel better? Kind of. But, I am hoping it will help me move to a better place.

My advice:  if you are bummed and feeling low, jot it down and break out the matches. You might just feel a small sense of peace.

The picture? Two people who make me smile every time I look at them. And, that's a good thing:

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I may have to try that. We've had a rough few years too, since 2006. :( I hope it works for you! :) (((hugs))

    ReplyDelete