Saturday, December 17, 2011

Missing Mom

I can't really count the number of times I have thought of my mother during this holiday season. I do know that it has been many. There was the day in Michael's when I really needed a special color bow and I wasn't sure I wanted to create it myself so I was shopping for a pre-made bow. And, right in the middle of shopping I started to cry. I just wanted to be able to call my mom, get her advice on the bow color, and then hopefully have her make it for me. 


Then there was the day John and I were out to lunch sitting next to a table of older women who were exchanging their Christmas gifts with each other. The lady closest to me looked very much like my mom and her Vera Bradley purse was the clincher. Again, I started to cry.


Or the day that we decorated the tree and added the spider she made at the end. I cried then, too.


Time heals all wounds? With time things will get better? You'll find closure?


Well, I'm 2 years and 9 months from my mother's death and let me just say...wounds have not healed, time does not make all things better, and I have not found closure. 


But, I have two wonderful daughters, a terrific husband, a great father, fabulous sisters, nieces, and nephews, and many people who make my life better. And, because of all of them I will think about the reason for the season and remember to be joyful.


I miss you, mom. 


My Mom and Aunt Sue

2 comments: