Friday, November 30, 2007

Love Story - Installment #2

So, after the nine year relationship ended I felt so completely free. I was free as a bird and ready to regain a bit of myself. I was having fun living in my little apartment with occassional dates here and there. I hadn't found anyone special, but I was really happy. I loved the freedom my life offered me. I could come and go as I pleased and I was making good decisions for me without thinking about someone else's plans. It was so liberating.

(A funny little aside here: about a month after breaking up with nine year guy, he called and offered to mail me a ring to marry him. This was his idea of a romantic proposal, I guess. Needless to say, I declined his generous offer!)

About this time, I was team teaching 5th grade with a friend. We had great times together. We'd take our 50 5th graders out for recess and discuss our lives while they ran around us screaming wildly. I would let her in on my dreams of meeting a guy with strong arms who would keep me safe and secure. We would laugh about my description, but deep inside I really was dreaming of this guy. I also had been praying/talking to God about this guy. I just wanted a good guy who lived in the same city and was fun.

My friend's husband was a policeman and he was on a mission to find a perfect match for me. He set me up on several dates that were flops. These guys just weren't what I was looking for. And, I felt like I really knew what I was looking for by now. My friend called on a Sunday to tell me about another potential suitor. All she knew about this one was that he was a policeman. So, I agreed to meet him for a blind date and my friend and her husband would be there, too. Our date was arranged for Thursday night. On Wednesday my friend called to say that she had met "the guy". He was working at a baseball game and she had a description for me: tall, motorcycle policeman, tan, tall black boots, cool sunglasses...and strong arms! I was intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment