Friday, January 30, 2009

Sunny Days...Chasin' the Clouds Away

Yesterday, the sun decided to make an appearance. I don't think I have ever really felt as if I suffered from this disorder, but this winter the dark and lack of sun truly has altered my personality and I am eager for the light to shine again.

Once the sun came out we were off on a walk through the 'hood. We came back to the house and played outside. The girls pulled out bikes, balls, and scooters and went at it. Shelly decided that she would attempt riding Lily's old bike and she really mastered it. I was amazed at her fearlessness and determination when it was tough to pedal up hill. Just a week or so before the idea of getting on the bike was terrifying to her. I am really impressed with this little 5 year-old. All on her own, she is opening up all kinds of new doors for herself and developing some pretty incredible confidence. It is really a wonderful thing to watch.
Now, we just need to get the 8 year-old on a bike and feeling more confident. She has so many mixed emotions about riding a bigger bike. I know that some of her apprehension is thanks to me. I have imposed my own fears and cautiousness to both girls and I know it has created limits in their world. I think of the Kelly Clarkson song, "Because of You", sometimes and I fear that maybe I am doing these things to my girls...(here are the lyrics that often ring in my head):
Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk
Because of you I learned to play on the safe side So I don't get hurt
Because of you I find it hard to trust Not only me, but everyone around me
Because of you I am afraid
So, I am resolving to fix that and allow them some freedom and the ability to EASILY take some risks.
Bottom line: I just am happy that the sun came out the other day!

No comments:

Post a Comment